Our journey began in 1987, when high school counselor Gregg Dietz noticed a dramatic decline in youth engagement in the community. The Youth Advocacy League is a completely youth led social justice organization, currently based out of Shaler Area High School. YAL is the umbrella organization encompassing smaller programs aimed at getting youth involved with advocacy.
- Bring about change in our community in the various areas of social injustice.
- Provide Youth Advocacy League students with opportunities to give back to the school and the community.
- Increase awareness concerning intolerance and inequality in our communities.
- Deal constructively with conflict.
- Train students in the following areas: interpersonal/intrapersonal skills, stress management, communication
- To create an inner-sense of purpose, compassion, and belonging.
- May 27, 2015- Grant Receival and Dinner for Freedom Cages for Change Project
FREEDOM CAGES FOR CHANGE
M-Powerment is group consisting of men and women that raises awareness about sexual harassment, gender inequality, and other issues that men and women face daily. We believe that these issues are very serious and that someone needs to stand up and make a change.
PEAS - Protection, Education, Awareness, Support for the LGBTQ Community
Our mission is to make the Shaler Area Community a safer and more welcome place for all students regardless of sexual orientation or gender identification. We want to make an environment that is non-judgemental, open-minded, and hate-free for all students.
Our Partner: GLSEN
YIELD - Youth Involved Education of Legal Drivers
The goal of this program is to educate students on the dangers of distracted driving.
YIELD's partners: AAA, Allegheny County Pretrial Services, Allegheny County Health Department, Alcohol Highway Safety Program, The Allstate Foundation, Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, Edgar Snyder & Associates, PA DUI Association, PennDOT, Allegheny County Youth Traffic Safety Council, Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD)
2015 Youth United for Change Application
Fill out the form below to apply for the 2015 Saturdays Program hosted by the University of Pittsburgh! Please contact email@example.com if you experience issues with the process.